I have an obsession with the crispy brussel sprouts with lemon, parmesan and capers from the wine bar around the corner from our place. A dish of those, their bone marrow cheese toast, and a glass of Viognier is just perfect in my book.
I have tried to recreate this dish at home, but the deep frying requires equipment I don’t have. I don’t have pots big enough, it uses too much oil, the smoke alarm goes off – you get the idea. But I thought that maybe I could get some of that lovely crispiness from grilling the sprouts. After a useful lesson in making chicken souvlaki from Cooks Illustrated in which you don’t do much to the chicken beforehand, but dump it in an olive oil dressing directly after coming off the grill, I decided to do the same with my brussel sprouts. It doesn’t quite have the same heavenly richness as the Flying Pig version, but that just gives me an excuse to go back…
Grilled Sprouts with lemon and parmesan
- A quantity of brussel sprouts
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- Heat and oil your grill.
- Slice off the base of each sprout, then slice in half. Thread them on skewers, with flat halves all facing the same way. You’ll need quite robust skewers for this, my sharp metal ones came in handy here.
- Whisk olive oil, lemon juice, and salt together in a bowl just big enough to hold your sprouts. Taste, and adjust salt and lemon as needed.
- Adjust grill heat to medium. Brush sprouts with oil, place on the grill, turning occasionally. You want grill marks, but they go from nicely marked to decidedly burnt quite quickly. There’s no harm in flipping them often, thankfully.
- Remove the sprouts from the grill when just starting to become tender (poke with a knife). Using hot mitts and tongs, remove the sprouts from the skewers directly into the dressing and toss. Sprinkle with parmesan and toss again. Serve immediately.
FREE eBook: Tips for Planning your European Family Vacation
Sign up below to get your FREE eBook with all my tips for booking a European family vacation.
You will also receive all the updates from Erin at Large.
Follow along with us as we explore Europe: get our travel guides, packing tips, photo journals, and more.